We’re looking for a new member for the Cali Calls team! California Calls is a growing alliance of 30 grassroots, community-based organizations spanning urban, rural and suburban counties across the state. We are building a movement of voters using our power to create laws that work for ALL Californians – not just corporations or the richest 1%. We engage, educate and motivate new and infrequent voters among young people, from communities of color, and from poor and working class neighborhoods to make California’s electorate reflect our state’s diverse population. Our goal is to achieve the systemic change our communities deserve—not just what’s “winnable” today.
In this era of attacks on our communities and attempts to roll back the progress we’ve made over the last 75 years, we must double down on building real and lasting power in every corner of our state. We’re looking for an Organizing Coordinator for the Black Census and Redistricting Hub, to support local Black-led organizations build power by working to ensure fair representation of Black communities in California’s redistricting processes. The redistricting processes will determine how our government delegates political representation – that is, who gets to make key policy decisions that affect the State’s communities. Black communities will be disproportionately impacted by any decision made as a result of the census and redistricting processes. Therefore, a strong voice for these communities is needed to ensure maximum participation.
You’ll need to have a passion for organizing and a desire to learn. You’ll be part of a team guided by thoughtful, strategic planning, analysis and evaluation. To help lead ground-breaking statewide organizing campaigns, we need someone who learns quickly and is a self-starter who can also balance the small operational details with the long-term vision of our work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with California Calls’ staff, consultants and partner organizations of our statewide Black Census & Redistricting Hub to help develop, implement and support outreach and organizing strategies to increase Black people’s participation in state and local redistricting processes
- Work closely with partner organizations’ staff and leadership to plan and carry out local engagement, outreach, and political education to support Black participation in redistricting
- Plan and facilitate group one-on-ones, coalition convenings, team coordination, and partner meetings to build relationships and skills needed to effectively engage in redistricting processes and advocacy
- Help develop redistricting Training and Political Education plans and materials for organizations and their leaders
- Assist with training, support, and regional coordination, to support advocacy, public relations and data and mapping needs
- Reporting to Kevin Cosney, Associate IVE Director
- Salary range: $60,000-70,000 annually with comprehensive benefits
- Experience in developing and leading community outreach, forums, focus groups and political education trainings
- Experience in coalition coordination, community or labor organizing, and advocacy campaigns
- Experience working with and knowledge of low-income communities of color in California
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Experience developing and leading trainings and convenings for various audiences
- Computer skills: strong knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and/or database software
- Bilingual (English-Spanish) skills are desirable, but not required
- Valid driver’s license, personal car insurance, a personal vehicle in good working condition with valid registration
- No later than the first day of employment must provide acceptable documents for proof of identity and employment authorization in the United States for Form I-9
People of Color, Women and LGBTQI encouraged to apply.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org