California Calls is an alliance of 30 dynamic local community-based organizations across the state working to achieve real, lasting policy change that strikes at the root causes of poverty, inequality and oppression. We are a pioneer in “Integrated Voter Engagement” which combines statewide on-going voter engagement, state-of-the-art technology and neighborhood-based community organizing to make sure who votes in California reflects who lives in California. By organizing the power of the people locked out of decision-making, building strategic alliances, and waging structural policy battles, we are shaping a new future for California based on justice and equality.
We’re looking for a Digital Organizer who can join our team for five months leading up to the November Election enhance our ground operation and inspire Californians to take action and get out to vote with dynamic email and text messaging campaigning and copywriting.
- Strategic, bold and innovative. We set ambitious goals and consistently experiment to shape a new blueprint to achieve justice.
- Democratic from the bottom up – our mission centers building the power of poor and working people and the leadership of our local partners
- Rigorous and disciplined to evaluate our progress and scale our power
- Fiercely committed to social, economic and racial justice
- An effective writer with a passion for the creative, who understands how to inspire and motivate all kinds of audiences.
- Able to take ownership of a large email and SMS list and create compelling communications that tell the story of California’s Emerging Electorate – including poor and working class families, communities of color – and move them to action.
- An avid news reader who is able to identify and seize rapid response opportunities.
- A new media expert with an understanding of current trends and strategies to effectively leverage the power of social media.
- Comfortable taking the lead on projects and driving them to completion, using rigorous, metric-driven analysis to balance short-term tactical campaigns with long-term strategic projects.
- Able to demonstrate a successful track record of Email and SMS list management and copywriting for campaigns.
- Work closely with the Strategic Communications Manager to coordinate and execute communications’ projects.
- Drive Email and SMS campaigns from concept, development and deployment.
- Light data work including list cleanup & maintenance.
- Some management of social media platforms – including social media copywriting and assisting with editorial calendar creation.
- Assist in development of strategic communication analysis, methodologies, and narratives that impact worldview and engage a base of hundreds of thousands.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Background in and commitment to social justice work.
- Must have strong digital skills including, basic HTML for email formatting, Excel, Action Network (or similar CRM), MobileCommons (or similar Mass SMS Platform), Facebook Business Manager, Adobe Photoshop.
- A strong track record of managing Email and SMS campaigns.
- Must have strong analytical skills and excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Must be able to produce high-quality copy for digital communications.
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve goals under deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diversity of people, organizations, communities, and cultures.
- (Preferred) experience in community and/ or labor organizing.
- Strong framing and messaging skills.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
Please note that this is a contract based position beginning in July 2020 and ongoing through November 2020. Compensation is $45-65/hr depending on experience for a maximum of $52,000 for the five months based on achieving contract requirements specified in the scope of work. Email resume, cover letter, and three references to Victor Suarez – email@example.com
Independent Contractor Status
This position is an independent contractor and not an employee or agent of California Calls. The Consultant is not entitled to any benefits that California Calls provides to its employees and hereby waives the right to participate in any such programs. Consultant also agrees that, consistent with independent Consultant status, Consultant will not apply for any government-sponsored benefits that are intended to apply to employees of California Calls, including, but not limited to, unemployment benefits. Consultant acknowledges and agrees that Consultant shall be responsible for filing all tax returns, tax declarations, and tax schedules, and for the payment of all the taxes required, when due, with respect to any and all compensation earned under this Agreement.