About California Calls
California Calls (501c3) and its sister organization California Calls Action Fund (501c4) is a powerful alliance of 30 local community-based organizations spanning urban, rural and suburban counties across the state. We engage, educate and motivate new and infrequent voters, including young people, communities of color, and poor and working-class communities to ensure that the electorate represents all of California. Through our bottom-up approach, we organize people most impacted by decades of disinvestment, deteriorating public services, mass incarceration and growing inequality in support of systemic, progressive policy solutions. Working together and building the power of communities who are often left out of policy decisions, we believe we can reclaim the California Dream of equality, opportunity, and prosperity for all Californians.
With our headquarters in Los Angeles, remote staff based in the Bay Area, and partner organizations anchored in 14 counties, we advance state-based structural battles that strengthen democracy, fully fund schools, affordable housing and local services, and expand racial, gender and economic justice. Knowing no one organization alone can win the bold policies needed to address poverty and inequality, we strengthen the capacity and build collaborations with organizations across the state to build a strong movement capable of winning structural change.
The Opportunity: Vice President of Policy Campaigns and External Affairs
The Vice President of Policy Campaigns and External Affairs is an Executive Level role responsible for working with the CEO to carry out the mission and vision of the organization, and providing strategic direction and management of California Calls statewide policy campaigns. The position requires the ability to craft statewide ballot and legislative strategy and tactical plans, represent the organization to external audiences, and lead strategies to exercise grassroots power. The Vice President works closely with the CEO, Board of Directors, Senior Leadership, and external partners, and supervises the Political and Policy Directors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Long Term Policy Agenda and Statewide Campaigns
- Tracks the state political (conditions, decision makers, organized opposition, movement landscape, narrative landscape and active battles) and policy landscape (pending legislation, ballot measures) related to California Calls reform principles and policy agenda
- Develops recommendations to the Board of Directors about policy positions, priorities and campaigns
- Directs the Policy Director to craft effective analysis and policy demands that advance California Calls long term policy agenda
- Directs the Political Director to develop and execute campaign tactical plans that exercises and leverage coalition and grassroots power.
- Works with the Strategic Communications Director to develop and test messaging and communications strategies to build narrative power, shift the debate and win over hearts and minds.
- Works with the Power Building Director to shape field strategies to win electoral campaigns.
- Maintains Relationships with key institutional partners, including labor, elected officials, research/academics and funders.
- Maintains Strategic Relationships with key state, regional and local partners who are part of California Calls Strategic Collaborations
- Oversees coalition development for statewide legislative and ballot campaigns
- Supports the CEO in carrying out the mission and vision of the organization as directed by the California Calls Board of Directors
- Represents California Calls to allies, decision makers, the media, and others
- Represents California Calls on external campaign coalitions
- Participates in the Senior Leadership Team and supports leadership development and shared political analysis among board, staff, anchors and partners
- Oversees component and campaign budgets and legal compliance
We are looking for someone who
- Has at least 10 years of campaign, political, legislative and/or management experience
- Has a strong commitment to social, racial, gender and economic justice and an understanding of the needs of low-income communities of color in California.
- Has expertise in high-level policy, campaign and strategy development for statewide or regional ballot and/or legislative campaigns.
- Exceptional work and project management, organizational skills, discipline and attention to detail.
- Is a self-starter with demonstrated good judgment, critical thinking, flexibility, resourcefulness, and problem-solving abilities.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills, experience in communicating complex ideas to various audiences
- Has strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment, has experience wrangling stakeholders to secure the necessary input, buy-in and approvals.
- Is able to handle confidential information with discretion.
Compensation and Benefits
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary Range: $130,000-$160,000
Location: Ideally based in Los Angeles, but can work remotely anywhere in California
Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Political Director, Policy Director
Travel Requirements: Mostly in state, 1-2 times a quarter
Benefits Include: Full Family Health Insurance, Dental Insurance and Vision Insurance, Medical after 30 days of employment and Health and Dependent Care Flex Spending Account after 90 days, 401K plan, 30 paid accrued paid time off days.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: California Calls is an Equal Opportunity Employer, women people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Vaccination Transparency: Due to travel requirements and in-person meetings during employment, candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated (Two Doses as well as appropriate booster doses) against COVID-19 before commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and 3 references to Melinda Ealy at email@example.com. Resume review will begin immediately and those selected for advancement will be notified to participate in the interview process and required to complete a writing assignment.