About California Calls
California Calls (501c3) and its sister organization California Calls Action Fund (501c4) is a powerful alliance of 30 local community-based organizations spanning urban, rural and suburban counties across the state. We engage, educate and motivate new and infrequent voters, including young people, communities of color, and poor and working-class neighborhoods to make sure who votes in California reflects who lives in California. Through our bottom-up approach, we organize people most impacted by decades of disinvestment, deteriorating public services, mass incarceration and growing inequality in support of systemic, progressive policy solutions. Working together and building the power of communities who are often left out of policy decisions, we believe we can reclaim the California Dream of equality, opportunity, and prosperity for all Californians.
With our headquarters in Los Angeles, remote staff based in the Bay Area, and partner organizations anchored in 14 counties, we advance state-based structural battles that strengthen democracy, fully fund schools, affordable housing and local services, and expand racial, gender and economic justice. Knowing no one organization alone can win the bold policies needed to address poverty and inequality, we strengthen the capacity and build collaborations with organizations across the state to build a strong movement capable of winning structural change.
The Opportunity: Integrated Voter Engagement Manager
With over 22 million registered voters, California has one of the largest electorates in the nation. While progress has been made in our state to increase voter registration, we know that voter registration is just one piece of the puzzle to making sure who votes in California reflects who lives in California. Our approach is called Integrated Voter Engagement – we engage in year round organizing of the voters who are neglected by traditional campaigns – low income communities, communities of color, young voters and immigrants, to build relationships, trust and a growing movement of people calling for structural solutions to poverty, disinvestment and staggering inequality.
We are seeking an Integrated Voter Engagement Manager to develop and implement California Calls’ year round voter engagement programs to build relationships with infrequent and new voters and inspire them to vote. Working with an incredible team of organizers, policy experts, communications strategists, coalition builders, and ally organizations, the Integrated Voter Engagement Manager will help build broad public support for the structural policies we need and deserve by developing winning field programs that reach voters and expand their turnout in communities across California. You will also lead California Calls’ training and capacity-building program, composed of California Calls’ Anchors’ Field Managers and Organizers, to strengthen their skills to effectively inspire voters to join our movement, take action and vote.
Our current statewide campaigns include Schools and Communities First which seeks to undo a 40-year corporate property tax loophole resulting in billions lost to our schools and local communities, Housing is a Human Right, a new campaign to expand funding for housing off the speculative real estate market, and the Budget Power Project, which supports local partners in their battles to ensure city, county and local district funding is invested in our communities’ needs.
Specifically this means:
- Working closely with staff and coalition members, identify opportunities and craft strategies to shift the public consciousness on the Alliance’s policy campaigns
- Develop and implement field programs that reach voters on the phone, door-to-door and online.
- Generate ideas and produce training curricula and materials.
- Support and position California Calls staff and leaders as experts in the work
- Participate in statewide narrative projects and research as needed.
Training and Capacity Building
- Help lead a project to support a cohort of 6 groups in Los Angeles to incorporate Integrated Voter Engagement in their power building strategy.
- Work with California Calls’ Organizing, Data and Tech, Policy and Communications components to to increase the Cohort’s organizing, narrative, data management and technology skills
- Participate in the Senior Leadership Team and Represent California Calls to allies, decision makers, the media and others
- Manage the California Calls IVE team, which includes the Organizing Coordinator and various consultants.
- Stay current on the political landscape.
We are looking for someone who
- Has 3-5 years of campaign, organizing or voter engagement experience.
- Has a strong commitment to social, racial, gender and economic justice and an understanding of the needs of low-income communities in California.
- Is able to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp of individual project details and meet deadlines.
- Is a self-starter with demonstrated good judgment, critical thinking, flexibility, resourcefulness, and problem-solving abilities.
- Has strong organizational skills, is detail-oriented, and follows projects through to completion.
- Has strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment, has experience wrangling stakeholders to secure the necessary input, buy-in and approvals.
- Is able to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Has experience in communicating complex issues to varied audiences.
Compensation and Benefits
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary Range: $75,000-$90,000, depending on experience
Location: Ideally based in Los Angeles, but can work remotely anywhere in California
Reports to: Director of Power Building
Supervises: 1 Organizing Coordinator
Travel Requirements: Mostly in state, 1-2 times a quarter
Benefits Include: Full Family Health Insurance, Dental Insurance and Vision Insurance, Medical and Health and Dependent Care, Medical after 30 days of employment and Health and Dependent Care Flex Spending Account after 90 days, 401K plan, 10 paid holiday and accrued vacation time up to 20 days after 7 years of employment.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: California Calls is an Equal Opportunity Employer, women, people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Vaccination Transparency: Due to travel requirements and in-person meetings during employment, candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated (Two Doses as well as appropriate booster doses) against COVID-19 before commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
Email resume, cover letter, and three references to Melinda Ealy firstname.lastname@example.org .
Women, people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.