About California Calls
California Calls (501c3) and its sister organization California Calls Action Fund (501c4) is a powerful alliance of 30 local community-based organizations spanning urban, rural and suburban counties across the state. We engage, educate and motivate new and infrequent voters, including young people, communities of color, and poor and working-class neighborhoods to make sure who votes in California reflects who lives in California. Through our bottom-up approach, we organize people most impacted by decades of disinvestment, deteriorating public services, mass incarceration and growing inequality in support of systemic, progressive policy solutions. Working together and building the power of communities who are often left out of policy decisions, we believe we can reclaim the California Dream of equality, opportunity, and prosperity for all Californians.
With our headquarters in Los Angeles, remote staff based in the Bay Area, and partner organizations anchored in 14 counties, we advance state-based structural battles that strengthen democracy, fully fund schools, affordable housing and local services, and expand racial, gender and economic justice. Knowing no one organization alone can win the bold policies needed to address poverty and inequality, we strengthen the capacity and build collaborations with organizations across the state to build a strong movement capable of winning structural change.
The Opportunity: Advancement Director
California Calls is seeking an Advancement Director to lead the creation and implementation of fundraising strategies for California Calls. Working with the Senior Management Team, the Advancement Director will oversee and manage fundraising efforts, cultivate relationships with foundations and individual donors, prepare grant proposals and reports, and communicate our strategic vision, program areas and impact through both written materials and verbal presentations. The projected California Calls Education Fund 2022 budget is estimated at $8 Million. The Advancement Director reports to the Chief Executive Officer and supervises the Development Manager.
FUNDRAISING SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT
- Develop and implement annual and long-term, innovative fundraising plans
- Coordinate with Senior Management Team to develop annual budget and revenue projections
- Coordinate with Chief Financial Officer to comply with all reporting obligations, including lobbying expenditures and political disclosure
- Work with Development Manager in implementing overall fundraising systems to achieve required results
- Track grant deliverables and coordinate with programs to assure timely completion
- Manage the implementation of the Raiser’s Edge donor database, and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Prepare written grant proposals, interim and final reports to foundations
- Maintain and update basic organizational documents needed for grant proposal submissions, including organizational and project budgets
- Work with all programs to gather relevant information on program deliverables in order to prepare accurate grant reports
- In coordination with program and finance staff, prepare and request expenditure and grant modifications as necessary
- Conduct prospect research on foundations and other sources
- Coordinate and supervise foundation site visits
- Oversee filing and tracking systems to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal and reports
INDIVIDUAL DONOR CULTIVATION AND MANAGEMENT
- In coordination with Senior Management Team, initiate, cultivate, and maintain relationships with individual donors
- Create and supervise regular donor updates and fundraising appeals
- Create and supervise donor outreach, communication and renewal campaigns
- Conduct individual prospect research and outreach
- Create and execute a strategy for a large, sustained basis of small donors
Qualifications and Skills
- At least 5 years’ experience in development with strong background in grant writing
- Demonstrated interest, understanding and commitment to California Calls’ mission and ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and managerial skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills
- Independent thinker and self-starter with strong attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines and produce high quality work in a flexible and fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and G-Suite programs
- Knowledge of Raisers’ Edge donor software
Compensation and Benefits
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary Range: $100,000-$130,000
Location: Ideally based in Los Angeles, but can work remotely anywhere in California
Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Development Manager
Travel Requirements: Mostly in state, 1-2 times a quarter
Benefits Include: Full Family Health Insurance, Dental Insurance and Vision Insurance, Medical and Health and Dependent Care, Medical after 30 days of employment and Health and Dependent Care Flex Spending Account after 90 days, 401K plan, 10 paid holiday and accrued vacation time up to 20 days after 7 years of employment.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: California Calls is an Equal Opportunity Employer, women people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Vaccination Transparency: Due to travel requirements and in-person meetings during employment, candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated (Two Doses as well as appropriate booster doses) against COVID-19 before commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
Email resume, cover letter, and three references to Melinda Ealy email@example.com .
Women, people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.