California Calls is a growing alliance of 30 grassroots, community-based organizations spanning urban, rural and suburban counties across the state. We are building a movement of voters using our power to create laws that work for ALL Californians – not just corporations or the richest 1%. We engage, educate and motivate new and infrequent voters among young people, from communities of color, and from poor and working class neighborhoods to make California’s electorate reflect our state’s diverse population. Our goal is to achieve the systemic change our communities deserve—not just what’s “winnable” today.
In this era of attacks on our communities and attempts to roll back the progress we’ve made over the last 75 years, we must double down on building real and lasting power in every corner of our state. We are looking for a Redistricting Policy Coordinator Consultant for the Black Census and Redistricting Hub (BCRH), to support our staff and coalition with policy updates, analysis and recommendations based on the redistricting commission and its process. This role will engage with our key technical partners including UC Berkeley’s Othering and Belonging Institute, UCLA Bunche Center for African American Studies, Advancement Project of CA, and USC Equity Regional Institute.
You’ll need to have a passion for analyzing policy, procedures and legal documents, as well as for tracking policy makers on the commission and translating that information into clear and actionable memos and recommendations. You’ll be part of a team guided by thoughtful, strategic planning, analysis and evaluation. To help lead ground-breaking statewide civic engagement campaigns, we need someone who learns quickly and is able to manage their time and responsibilities effectively.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Track biweekly commission meetings and CRC process.
- Keep Hub team abreast of key issues, developments, and decisions affecting the statewide redistricting landscape through regular memos and/or verbal updates at team meetings.
- Participate in weekly Redistricting CA calls, monthly Redistricting Partner calls, and bi-weekly BCRH staff meetings.
- Support Unity Mapping Table engagement and discussions.
- Work with our Field Team to support our advocacy leads where necessary, including rapid response.
- Independent contractor providing 60 hours per month of service from February-August 2021, with potential for extensions based on commission timeline.
- Reporting to James Woodson, Senior Policy and Strategic Projects Manager.
- Compensation will be at the rate of $90 per hour
- Experience in policy and legal analysis with familiarity of redistricting processes;
- Experience in developing short and actionable policy memos and translating policy and procedural information into plain and simple text;
- Experience working with and understanding of low-income communities of color in California;
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
- Computer skills: strong knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and their Google Suite equivalents. Familiarity with database software is also helpful but not required.
- Valid driver’s license, personal car insurance, a personal vehicle in good working condition with valid registration.
- No later than the first day of employment must provide acceptable documents for proof of identity and employment authorization in the United States for Form I-9.
People of Color, Women and LGBTQI encouraged to apply.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org